nafex - [nafex] Picking

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Picking
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:33:39 -0300

I have 50+ varieties of apples, mostly heritage and/or obscure. Each year I
struggle with
when to pick them. Checking things like brown seeds, coming free with a lift
and slight twist,
even starch iodine testing, as well as plain old tasting, all fail to some
degree when half or
more of my crop has fallen off before these indicators have been reached.
This year a
number of cultivars which ripened in late September last year started falling
in the firat half of
August. Is my problem inaccurate harvest dates? Or is it premature
dropping? And if the
latter, what is the cause and what do I do about it?

David Maxwell, Zone 5b, Nova Scotia, Canada.

  • [nafex] Picking, david . maxwell, 08/25/2013