nafex - [nafex] wrong person but maybe right answer

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] wrong person but maybe right answer
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 12:13:43 -0400

Anton, You know I meant parthenocarpic- the funny thing is I was copying
the word directly from a botany book as I always forget the word in the
long intervals between usage. Dyslexic moment, I guess. Should have
studied Latin.

Anyway, your point can easily be checked by the existence or non-existence
of seeds, I assume. Then the question could become, "are some pears self
fertile?". Is there a definitive answer to this question? Childs seems to
suggest by inference that no pears are self fertile and self fruiting pears
would never have seeds.

"Parthenocarpy will explain some cropping in some situations on some
species, but unless the female is kept in an isolation cage, true
pollination can occur over longer-than-expected distances at some frequency
as well."