nafex - Re: [nafex] Burying graft union; scion will root?

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Burying graft union; scion will root?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:21:25 +0000

Steve,

 I remember reading "The Grafter's Handbook" printed in Britain some decades
ago (and cannot find in my list of reading over the past 7 years, although it
was within that time) that over a matter of several years apple roots
developing from the scion, when burying the graft union, will supersede those
from the root stock. In most cases, the root stock eventually dwindles away.
Plenty of factors determine how fast or slow that change takes place.
 They recommended this technique in some cases where fruiting would be more
precocious due to the influence of the root stock, and later the tree will
develop standard size and fruiting.

 Not all cultivars exhibit the same hardiness, drought resistance, disease
resistance and such as the root stocks they have been grafted to, so that
would be worth considering. And the reverse may be true. Some, like Lubsk
Queen or Duchess of Oldenburg, may well be more hardy then most root stocks.

 As to prunus and other species, I bow to others with more knowledge and
experience.

Dave Liezen