nafex - Re: [nafex] Umeboshi

  • From: derry walsh <derrywalsh1@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Umeboshi
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 13:03:30 -0700

'Umeboshi' aka 'Prunus mume' is actually aka 'Japanese flowering apricot'.

I think you need two different varieties to get fruit, plus pollinators plus warm weather at bloom time and we rarely put that all together at bloom-time.

I have Beni shi don (rosy pink) and Rosemary Clarke (white) beside one another and I get fruit, but not a lot.

VanDusen Gardens has quite a few Beni shi don trees (more than 20 years old), but no pollenizers so no fruit.

I have Kobai - sparse blooms, no fruit to date (about ten years).

I also have two unnamed varieties: one pink and one white.

The white one is massed with blossoms and bees at bloom-time but no fruit to date (also about ten years). The pale pink one has masses of blossoms and one fruit this year.

The local Japanese pick them when they are still hard and unripe and soak them in a brine solution for a few months.

I would say you should have your blood pressure monitored before eating them. If you are vulnerable/sensitive to salt, your BP will rise horrendously.

In my experience, when the fruit is allowed to ripen, it is very soft and bland.

Derry Walsh
Aldergrove,
south coastal B.C.