nafex - Re: [nafex] How tall?

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] How tall?
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 14:22:54 -0400

Yup, unless they are really hungry! I actually use 5-6' in height, only
about 18-24" in diameter. They eat branches that stick out, but I figure
once the trees mature, I don't want any branches that low anyways, because
the deer will eat them.

They occasionally damage the top branches on the 5' ones, but the 6' high
seems to be sufficient for me here. I imagine if they were desperate enough
they would put their hooves up and reach it anyways, or bend the cages
apart, but they have enough to eat around here in the winter I guess.

Don't forget that if you have deep snow, they'll be able to reach higher in
winter too.

-matt
z5 se MI