nafex - [nafex] Halls Hardy

  • From: alexis@conev.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Halls Hardy
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 06:52:19 -0400

Folks,
I am wondering who has experience with Hall's Hardy almonds? I have been growing them for a couple of years and I love them. They are not as sweet as commercial almonds, but I like the flavor. Slight bitter overtones, more "almondy" flavor than an ordinary almond. The nuts are hard to crack, but I got a good nutcracker (Lehman's "best") and it walks through them effortlessly -- cracks them consistently and easily without damaging the nut.
I have been reading on the web that some people think you need to boil the because of the supposed amount of amygdalin in them (amygdalin is present in many fruit seeds and breaks down into cyanide). That one is hard to figure out as the information on amygdalin on the web is flatly contradictory.
Does anyone grow Hall's Hardy in any volume? I think they are great and would like to grow and eat a lot of them. Mine are growing like weeds and producing well, even under really bad conditions. I have one tree in a very dry spot that has done well. This year's frosts have left them untouched.
Thanks,
Alexis (central VA, zone 7)