nafex - Re: [nafex] Ok to plant tomato plants next to strawberries/brambleberries?

  • From: Mary Yett <yettmw@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Ok to plant tomato plants next to strawberries/brambleberries?
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 16:00:31 -0400

I think it depends on what cultivation method you use.

Permaculture methods rely on vibrant, healthy soil with lots of organic
matter and hence lots of diverse soil life, both microscopic and
macroscopic. These types of soils are relatively resistant to the build up
of pathogens such as verticillium wilt, in large part because the teeming
hoards of lifeforms that live in them out compete the "bad guys". The
nutrients in alive soils are also more bioavailable and the plants growing
in them are stronger and more disease resistant.

Permaculture routinely interplants different species to create polyculture
"guilds" or small scale ecosystemes. I would recommend mixing the species
you propose, but also adding a permanent ground cover ( no bare soil at any
time of the year) of mulch or a living mulch such as white clover, some
nectar producers to attract beneficial insects , some deep rooted plants to
bring up subsoil nutrients, some nitrogen fixing plants, etc. The idea is
that diversity makes for a stronger, more resilient community. Any chemical
fertilizer or herbicide/insecticide kills off some of this biodiversity and
harms the long term health of the soil and thus the plants growing in it.

Mary Yett