nafex - Re: [nafex] Opinions in these varieties if stone-fruits..

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Opinions in these varieties if stone-fruits..
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 09:10:00 -0500

Steve,
I've had Evans/Bali growing here since about 1997; took out the original
tree a year or two ago, but still have suckers popping up here and there,
as much at 60 ft away from where the original was planted.
It may be a GREAT cherry in zones 4 and colder, but it was a DOG here. I've
seen photos from folks in Canada showing marvelous fruit set and maturation
- but it's unlikely that you'll see anything approaching that - but I could
be wrong.
Blooms later than Montmorency and its ilk - so, the fruit are late enough
that they see a LOT of insect damage.
Mine never produced enough fruit for me to even bother trying to pick
anything, and the fruits here were significantly smaller than those of
Montmorency.
I wouldn't bother with it in anything warmer than zone 5.

Lucky