nafex - [nafex] when to graft apples?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] when to graft apples?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 18:43:30 -0400

I have a seedling grab appel growing in a ricky spot where I couldn't
possibly plant a rootstock. And I am thinking it might be nice to graft
something onto it -- probably Wickson or Ashmead or Karmijn, since I have
them around.

When would you recommend I try? I will obviously cut a branch and immediately
graft it.

Traditionally, apples are grafted mid-april around here (I've heard Patriot's
Day, which will be April 15 this year, recommended.) But spring keeps coming
earlier, so I'd like vegetative signs. The forsythia buds are already
swelling a bit, and I can see some green under the scales of the lilac buds,
and the raspberries are thinking of sprouting. Apples are still completely
dormant, as are oaks. And the Apricot, which is usually very early, looks
dormant. On the other extreme, the Cornus Mas looks like one warm day will
bring it into bloom. The flower buds are large and about to crack.

Any help/advice would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6