nafex - Re: [nafex] Cutting Scions from a Spur-form Tree - Cut off Spurs?

  • From: "Ron Powell, PhD" <Botrytis@fuse.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Cutting Scions from a Spur-form Tree - Cut off Spurs?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:48:48 -0400

Pete,

I would suggest that you leave the spurs on the branch until you are ready to graft. The open wounds on the branch would allow the branch to dry out while in storage. The scion wood will take a little bit longer to break because of the remaining immature vegetative bud but sometimes that is good because it will permit the scion to knit better with the root stock before breaking.

Ron

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Chrisbacher" <pxbacher@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:25 PM

I have cuttings from a pear tree that are decidedly spur-ish in growth
habit. I am assuming I can cut off the spurs for storing the scions in the
fridge, and that buds will re-sprout from spots adjacent to where the spurs
were cut off on the branch, but I wanted to double-check here before I do
so.

Am I better off leaving the spurs in place? Or am I better off cutting
them off? Cut them mostly off?

Here's a pic: http://goo.gl/wDfkw

Thanks!

Pete Chrisbacher