nafex - [nafex] Planting multiple wildflower seeds (same species) in a single hole?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Planting multiple wildflower seeds (same species) in a single hole?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 23:39:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I've been making 5" holes in the woodchip mulch around my property so that
there will be a population of native wildflowers to sustain local
Pollinators. What will happen if, after planting multiple wildflower seeds
(same species) in a single 5" potting soil filled hole, I allow 3 or 4 of
those that germinate to continue to live - not transplanting the extras
(beyond one)? Will the plants choke each other until they all die? Will
they fuse and form a single clump? Will they persist, but not be as vigorous
after a few years?
If they will survive, I actually prefer to leave them like this because I'm
really only planting this installment so that I can collect seed from these
(future) parent plants that will be as genetically diverse as possible; this
seed came from a good collection of plants and the more plants that I have,
the more genetic diversity will be provided for the next generation. So, I
don't really mind if they look like a mess, etc. - I just want them to live
while the mulch breaks down - in the future, I will just be able to freely
cast the seed around the then more broken-down mulch, not needing to make
back-filled soil holes as I now do - then the plants can be well-separated
apart.
Thanks,
Steve (NJ)