nafex - Re: [nafex] frost vs freezing--effects on plants?

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] frost vs freezing--effects on plants?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:16:04 -0600

Scott, Frost implies stratification of air, and the individual leaves can be much colder than the official temp. With a "freeze" under cloudy skies with still air, there is less dessication. Also with a frost there may be bright sunshine in the morning that damages frozen leaves. It's a weird subject. In Fla the orange growers used to leave cabbage palms in the groves, where their lollipop shape apparently stirred the air in convection freezes and brought warmer air down closer to the ground around the trees. Donna