nafex - Re: [nafex] A superior fruiting Nanking cherry: 'Drilea', 'Orient' and other selections

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <sam.brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] A superior fruiting Nanking cherry: 'Drilea', 'Orient' and other selections
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 15:56:33 +0000

I'd forgotten about 'Orient' Nanking cherry. An article about selecting or
breeding improved Nanking cherry is at:
The Chinese Bush Cherry - Prunus tomentosa
arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/1606.pdf · PDF file
Drilea Cherry. Prunus tomentosa 'Drilea' was described as "a seedling of a
pale ... a self fertile stram of Nanking Cherry obtained in 1925 from O. M....

In part the article says:

"There have been many attempts to improve the Chinese bush cherry by breeding
and selection. Rehder (Bibliogr. Cult. Trees &#x26; Shrubs 331. 1949) listed
some
of the hybrids reported involving P. tomentosa. K. Yashiroda reported from
Japan
on "Prunus tomentosa and its improvement" (Gard. Chron. 3rd ser. 88: 109.
1930) and concluded "happily, it is a self-fertile cherry." Slate (I.c.), in
an
article entitled "Self-unfruitfulness in Prunus tomentosa" clearly
demonstrated
that the majority of strains of this species are instead self-sterile and
that less
than 6 per cent of open pollinated seedlings were satisfactory as orramental
or
fruit-producing plants. Professor Slate was able to select strains for habit
and for
fruit size. The two best strains were named and distributed as "Geneva" and
"Monroe" along with several numbered strains. The selections were also
distributed
by the New York State Fruit Testing Cooperative Association. Regrettably,
these names were never published. The plants received of these selections
by the Arnold Arboretum grew, and herbarium specimens were made recording
these cultivar names and numbers.

"The Dominion Experimental Station, Morden, Manitoba, Canada (Results of
Experiments 1931-1937 : 55. 1938) named a selection of Prunus tomentosa as the
Drilea Cherry. Prunus tomentosa 'Drilea' was described as "a seedling of a
pale
yellow Nanking Cherry that has stood up productively on the dry leas during
seasons when most of its kin suffered. Bush upright and spreading, vigorous,
annual bearer, fruit round, from ~ to ~ inch across, bright red, flesh firm,
tender,
sweet sprightly, pit small, season mid-July, quality good as dessert, canned,
jelly
or jam. "

"In 1946, W. H. Alderman reported the development of three new varieties of
Nanking Cherry (Minnesota Horticulturist 74: 28. 1946) given designation as
Minnesota No. 41 "Large roundish fruit, requires a pollinizer," Minnesota No.
63 "Very vigorous, large oval fruit, self fertile," and Minnesota No. 64
"Similar
to No. 63." In 1949 (Minnesota Horticulturist 77:37. 1949) the selection
Minnesota No. 63 was named 'Orient' and its origin noted to be self-pollinated
seed from a self fertile stram of Nanking Cherry obtained in 1925 from O. M.
Jensen of Albert Lea, Minnesota. The description is general and unique only
for the self fertile characteristic. In 1957 P. tomentosa 'Orient' was
described
again by Alderman, Wilcox and Weir (Minn. Agr. Station Bulletin 441 : ]2.
1957). Prunus 'Orient' was distributed in 1949 and the largest plants had
reached
a height of seven feet as a bush or small tree.

"Not one of these cultivars can be located by name in modern nursery
catalogues. ..."