nafex - Re: [nafex] Prince Albert of Prussia scions?

  • From: PATTY <jrplelie@centurylink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Prince Albert of Prussia scions?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:44:51 -0500 (EST)

Dave,

I have been finding these old European apple varieties quite intriguing.
With many of these still doing well in their home countries, I have been
using Google Chrome's built in translator to get descriptions off of the
European websites (nurseries and collections) Some of the translations can
be a little rough but it has been a big help. Here is the link for one of
the better sites. It has a nice search feature.

http://www.lpv-odermuendung.de/php/data.php?F2=A&Sortenname=Graue%20Franz%F6sische%20Renette

(This link goes right to the Reinette Grise apple, which was where I just
happened to save it.)

I have five acres and plan to do a take on the Streuobst (Medieval
permaculture?) Genetic diversity, especialy where disease resistance and
adaptability are concerned, is taken into account with a deliberate attempt
to avoid many of the cultivars derived from the big 5 (Delicious, Golden
Delicious, McIntosh, Cox, and James Grieve). They will be present but not in
an overpowering manner. Accessions from the ARS/Grin Kazakhstani collection
are present but I may add a few from Spearheart Orchard. Quite a few of the
modern disease resistant varieties (Vf) are present but as of late the
polygenic resistance of the old European apples seems like a better way to
go.

It is awesome that your horticultural endeavors can add to your Medieval
interests. Makes for a nice experience.

Keep in touch

Jim Elie
zone 5a