nafex - [nafex] Honeyberries (haskaps; edible blue-honeysuckle) - worth growing Zone 6b/7a?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Honeyberries (haskaps; edible blue-honeysuckle) - worth growing Zone 6b/7a?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:40:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have the following honeyberries (haskaps; edible blue-honeysuckle):

Night Mist

Blue Forest-(R) [cv. Magadan]

Blue Pacific-(R) [cv. F-1-9-58]

Borealis

Tundra

I was never impressed with the only two of the above that I've tried: Blue
Forest and Blue Pacific (but haven't tried the others yet); they taste like
under-ripe blueberries at best with a little bit of an interesting musky
over-tone. A nursery which sold me Night Mist tells me that this variety is
one of the varieties that tastes sweet and good for fresh-eating, unlike a
majority of the older varieties; they also recommend Midnight Blue for the
same reason. I'm highly skeptical. Some say that honeyberries are only good
if you can't grow blueberries (i.e. in certain provinces of CA), etc. Yet
others claim they are fantastic. American persimmon, in my opinion, is the
greatest-flavored of all temperate edibles; but if I only knew them through
some of the worst varieties or certain wild trees, I would never have known
how great a good variety could be.
So, for those who've tried the superior, newer varieties of honeyberries: are
they as great as described? If so, I'll add more bushes and know to expect
that Night Mist and the others will be very different from the two
aforementioned that I've tried (cf: Blue Forrest and Blue Pacific). I will
note that it's great to have these for the reason that they fruit, it seems,
far earlier than any blueberry - a good substitute for the lack of
blueberries.
Thanks,
Steve; NJ