nafex - Re: [nafex] Charles and grafting

  • From: Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Charles and grafting
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:24:08 -0500

Here is but one example of rootstock increasing cold hardiness over
own-rooted plant:

Miller et al. found that rootstock cultivars affect cold hardiness of scions
grafted to them. For example, grafted ‘White Riesling’ was significantly
hardier than the own-rooted vines...Miller, D.P., G.S. Howell, and R.K.
Striegler. 1988b. Cane and bud hardiness of own- rooted white Riesling and
scion of White Riesling and Chardonnay grafted to selected rootstocks. Amer.
J. Enol. Viticult. 39:60-86.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/