nafex - [nafex] More on squirrels

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] More on squirrels
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 22:58:09 -0400

Back in August I started complaining about the squirrels taking every single pear before they were half grown. They also had completely eaten all of my early corn and most of the late corn. Later, they took what was left of the late apples, though the blue jays had pecked most of them anyway.
Their most recent adventure came when my wife noticed a squirrel on our deck eating something she couldn't figure out at first. It turned out to be a beet. The squirrels were pulling the beets. I went out and pulled the rest. At least the beet crop was one where I got far more than the squirrels did. I found one "beet" with no top at all. It turned out to be an apple buried in the beet row. I washed it off and later peeled and ate it. I think it was an Arlet.
My real reason for writing is that it seems I wasn't the only one to suffer more squirrel damage than ever before. This AP article appeared in our local news paper, then I heard it on the radio and then TV. The other day I found it again as a feature on weather.com and that one is easy to share here:
http://www.weather.com/news/agriculture/squirrel-population-boom-20121016

Steve (in the new squirrel capitol of the Adirondacks)