nafex - Re: [nafex] Potted Pomegranates

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Potted Pomegranates
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:47:47 -0400

On 10/17/2012 12:37 PM, John Barbowski wrote:
In spite of 2-300 blossoms on each of my 4 foot plus Siberian pomegranates,
(Kasake,Agat) and a very warm summer, I had only 5 blossoms set fruit, one
of which, (1.5" diam) dropped off 2 weeks ago and only had about 6 immature
white seeds. The remaining 4 fruits are developing nicely and starting to
turn red. The largest is slightly larger than a tennis ball. Is there a
trick to getting more fruit?. Two years ago I had seven Poms develop,
anywhere between 2-4" in diam.

I have never noticed pollinators buzzing the flowers. Would manual
pollination help and if so, should it be intra or inter species or does it
matter?

Allow wild plants, weeds and wildflowers to flourish somewhere on your property. Bees, bumblebees and other pollinators will be attracted to them at various times during warm season. Perhaps this will help bring bees to your pomegranites. Bumblebees or carpenter bees pollinate my dwarf Meyer lemon. Wild honeybees are back now, absent since Spring, and are feeding on many wildflowers now in bloom, daisies in particular, goldenrod and many other plants.

Try altering the soil mix in your containers. I heartedly recommend
adding local quarry rock dust to your mixture (siltation pond fines, free for the hauling, usually). Other amendments include: dried chicken manure or cow manure, finished compost, greensand, azomite, seaweed meal/kelp meal, composted alfalfa or alfalfa meal, rock phosphate and other materials; granite duct from quarry fines would be excellent otherwise buy the bagged supplement mail order or locally.

Urine works well on Meyer lemon; maybe pomegranite too. Pruning is critical as well.

LL