nafex - [nafex] Pomegranites, passionfruit and Stayman Starkspur Winesap apples grown in the Piedmont region of NC

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] Pomegranites, passionfruit and Stayman Starkspur Winesap apples grown in the Piedmont region of NC
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:44:28 -0400

Jonathan Kirsch posted this to the NAFEX Facebook group with picture:

"Wonderful passion fruit (maypop) and pomegranate grown in the piedmont of NC. Why aren't these grown commercially here????"

My reply:

Lawrence London:
Please tell me more about growing pomegranites here. I am 11 miles West of Chapel Hill. I have a few wild maypops that have persisted for many years on my farm property. Here's another fruit ideally suited to the red clay and silt loam soils of this part of the Piedmont NC region: Stayman Starkspur Winesap apples. Yes they are succeptible to cedar apple rust in some places but not all, depends on local conditions. Example: Braxton's Sawmill on Lindley Mill Rd. has/had a huge SSW near the owner's home. I picked many bushels one year off the tree and off the ground. They were large rough skinned squat apples with absolutely delicious flavor, sour, sweet, crunchy and an unusual grainy texture; after harvest I still had 1/4 bushel in my refrigerator crisp and full of flavor ready to eat in May of the following year. What a market fruit crop to grow! Yes, why don't they grow SSW here for market? Do the pomegranites require winter protection and if so can they be grown in containers? I would really be interested in hearing answers to these questions. Thanks. LL

A recipe for SSW, raw and with sweet Barhis dates:

Chill the SSW apples

core and cut into large slices

feed slices into a hand crank, tabletop mounted meat grinder with coarse screen

add many Barhis dates along with the apple slices to the grinder

put coarse apple-date sauce in bowl and enjoy this excellent raw food for breakfast by itself - make it the whole meal

  • [nafex] Pomegranites, passionfruit and Stayman Starkspur Winesap apples grown in the Piedmont region of NC, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/17/2012