nafex - Re: [nafex] hardy quinces and fireblight?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] hardy quinces and fireblight?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:29:39 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Michele,

Aromatnaya is supposed to be somewhat fireblight resistant. My tree was
killed by fireblight last year in an epiphytotic, but a co-worker's tree is
still alive in the same region of the U.S.

Lisle's Special appears to have some durable fireblight resistance. My tree
has never shown significant blight in the last seven years. It does still
get considerable quince rust and it's major flaw is that it has no aroma.
The main reason I wanted quinces was for that heavenly aroma!

I seem to recall that Lisle's Special originated in Ohio.

Anton