nafex - Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] Looking for recommendation for CORNELIAN CHERRY (Cornus mas), and/or scionwood or nursery source.

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] Looking for recommendation for CORNELIAN CHERRY (Cornus mas), and/or scionwood or nursery source.
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:23:22 -0700 (PDT)

Ginda,

Thanks for sharing. My Pioneer started fruiting lightly about 10 years ago
and has fruited only sometimes since then. However, this year it had a huge
crop of fruit, almost breaking the limbs before they started ripening and the
birds going after them. A very pretty sight (I have some pics somewhere) I
think it takes a long tome for Pioneer to get going well. I've had much
quicker results with the variety called "Yellow" which has smaller fruits but
started fruiting in quantity much earlier than Pioneer did. My Elegant died
a year or two after it started fruiting, but I did prefer the fruit from that
tree, as it was easier to catch it at its prime. Pioneer, which can be
really complex and delicious, is much harder to catch in its prime. A day or
two too early can be tart and unappetizing. A day or two after prime, the
fruit can go to mush.

I think it helps to have a good pollinator near by. My Yellow and Pioneer
are close to each other.

John