nafex - [nafex] any experience with Capulin Cherry

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] any experience with Capulin Cherry
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:36:26 -0700

A few years ago I received some fresh Capulin Cherry seeds from a
grower in California. Two of the seeds sprouted. Those trees have
survived in my Seattle garden, with the winters getting down a few
nights to between 0F and 10F. Lots of tender branch tips killed over
the winter, but they recover in summer. This year one of the trees
blossomed, but no fruit. I read recently that Capulin Cherry from seed
will probably not produce choice fruit. I will find out how mine are
another year. In the meantime, I am seeking out scionwood of the
larger, tastier varieties of Capulin Cherry. Are any of you NAFEX
folks growing Capulin Cherry or know others with experience growing
it?
-Mark Lee, Seattle - harvesting Desert King Figs and Williams Pride Apples