nafex - [nafex] Pruning first-year planted sweet-cherry trees.

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Pruning first-year planted sweet-cherry trees.
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:49:20 -0400 (EDT)

Group:
I planted some grafted sweet-cherry trees this year and, at this point, all
of them are forked/divided into two vertical main branches. I think that
having a crotch low on the tree is not good.. I'd like the tree to be shaped
with a vertical central leader.
Should I, at this time, remove one of the two so that there is only one? I
did this with one, and now it's just a single trunk with leaves (no branches)
going up 8'; next year, I'll allow it to put out branches.
Also, with rootstocks such as the Gisela series and New Root 1 (Zaiger),
won't it happen that in a decade or a few decades, the scion will grow wider
than the under-stock so that the scion will, eventually, break-off from the
under-stock?
Thank you,
Steve; NJ