nafex - Re: [nafex] wasps & hornets

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] wasps & hornets
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have a serious problem with wasps biting holes in small fruit such as
blueberries, raspberries and gooseberries. Don't grow apples, so cannot
answer that.

I use homemade traps, jugs with 1" holes cut 3-4" above the bottom of the
jug. I put fruit juice with fruit peels, old fruit, etc in the bottom +
water + some liquid soap (occasionally a bit of cider vinegar). Gets flies,
wasps, yellow jackets and some moths. Best to start early in the season.
Trapping helps, but best solution for small fruits for me is to put them
under screens or appropriate netting.