nafex - Re: [nafex] goumi propagation tips

  • From: Mike Higgs <trenthillsca@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] goumi propagation tips
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:30:04 -0400

Scott,

I've had success using root cuttings to propagate *Hippophae rhamnoides *which
is hard to root via soft or hard wood cuttings. I've also had success with
beach plum.

Since goumi has a tendency to suckering, it's probably a good candidate for
root cuttings. Take them in the spring before the plant breaks dormancy.
Look for roots 2-3" long close to the main trunk. Try to keep as much of
the root hairs as possible. I used ProMix BX and tented the pot in a
plastic bag to retain moisture. Polarity is important - the proximal end
goes up. Small "nubs" of growth appear at the top of the proximal end
after 3 to 4 weeks or longer so be patient. Keep the new growth out of
direct sun since as I found out, that's a sure way of killing the new
growth. It seems that while there are new shoots above ground there are
not yet new roots below ground.

Air layering is another possibility - I'm trying that right now with both a
goumi and an Illinois Everbearing Mulberry.

Regards,
Mike

On 12 June 2012 12:00, <nafex-request@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:46:43 +0000
> From: Scott Breneman <sbreneman@yourgoodwill.org>
> Subject: [nafex] goumi propagation tips?
>
> Any tips on starting goumi--sounds like seeds are quite a challenge.
>
> We have a bush that we'd like to clone as well as start some seedlings.
>

> Scott Breneman
> Lancaster, PA

  • Re: [nafex] goumi propagation tips, Mike Higgs, 06/20/2012