nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple pest (part one)

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple pest (part one)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:50:13 -0400

On 6/11/2012 12:36 AM, Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
Le 23:43 12.06.10, vous avez écrit:
It seems I have European apple sawfly.

Steve, see a picture of EAS I took a few years ago:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cjoliprsf/Divers

And yes, the little beasts can really overthin
your crop. Interestingly however, they seem to be
somewhat irregular, in the sense that one year
there is an infestation, and the following year,
nothing, couldn't see one damaged fruit.
Claude

Thanks Claude, that's a better picture than any on the web that I could find.
I've been seeing this damage for so many years I don't remember when I first saw it. Some years were worse than others but it was always so mild that I could ignore it. This year, it's going to seriously cut down on my harvest. Since I just grow these apples for my own use, the loss is not a real big deal. I'll still have quite a few, assuming no other disaster, such as hail. It's not as bad as a year when a big frost hits at the worst time and reduces the crop to nearly nothing. Fortunately, that is very rare too.

Steve