nafex - [nafex] northeast apricots

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] northeast apricots
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 15:26:53 -0500

I don't think Montrose has a great track record in the northeast although
I've not grown it. I think of it as a western cold hardy apricot. Here
you have the Harrow series and the newer Jersey selections that include
Early Blush which I grow in southeastern NY. Because Tomcot has done well
in some pretty cold places and is highly favored by mid-Atlantic growers I
am just now trying it here and planted one last year. Planted Orange-red
from the Jersey program at the same time.

I've been growing several of the Har for years but haven't been careful
enough with labeling to fully sort them out. I don't think Harglow offers
much advantage by blooming a couple days later than others as the fruit is
just so-so. Hargrand produces the largest fruit of any hardy apricot
I've seen and the quality can be good with no scab problems. At least one
of the series does get scab but I'm not sure which one. Not Harlayne.

If I was to plant an older variety I'd probably choose Alfred which has an
issue with scab, is very small, but tastes fine and is quite hardy and a
reliable cropper.