nafex - Re: [nafex] I still have some Pawpaw seeds

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] I still have some Pawpaw seeds
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 13:44:30 -0400

Pawpaws do not come "true to seed", however, I am familiar with the seeds' parentage. These are all from "select trees", meaning they are either named varieties (Shenandoah, Prolific, etc.) or from seedlings from named varieties or selected by humans from the wild. I have no wild pawpaws near my orchard on the property due to much logging over many years. Any of my select seedling trees are constantly being evaluated for "goodness". Any "badness" results in those trees becoming rootstock for other selects. Several of my select seedlings are producing large, tasty fruit. But I did not create specific crosses. I rely on native gnats and flies for that.

Barbara Rosholdt
Z7a mid-Virginia

Re: [nafex] I still have some Pawpaw seeds