nafex - [nafex] Apple Thinning with Sevin

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple Thinning with Sevin
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:58:54 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/15/2012 12:37:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
verbpark@live.com writes:

> Does anyone know the amount of Sevin to use to thin apples? I've spent
> hours so far and I am no where near done. Has anyone tried any other
> chemical
> to thin apples? I know it's to late to try this year I just want to plan
> ahead. THANKS

Hello Vern,

The bad news is the sensitivity to Sevin for thinning is different with
various varieties. What works with one variety may be too strong for others
and
no effect for another. Sevin attaches the apple stem and it may not be too
late depending on where you are. But it is normally done right after
blossoming.

A search on the Internet may produce rates and timing for various
varieties.

Jerry,

  • [nafex] Apple Thinning with Sevin, Jwlehman, 04/16/2012