nafex - Re: [nafex] Another "bag" for bagging fruit

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Another "bag" for bagging fruit
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:49:27 -0700

I am a member of the Seattle Tree Fruit Society (STFS). STFS members have
been successfully using nylon maggot barriers to protect against coddling
moth and apple maggot damage for a number of years. Based on records over
the last 5 years of our club members, we have found that used early, maggot
barriers are nearly 100% effective against apple maggot and around 80%
effective against coddling moth. Maggot barriers also prevent the
spotted-wing drosophila from reaching ripening fruit to lay her eggs.

Some people have reported that this approach doesn't work for them.
Learning how and when to place the barriers on the fruit is important. Our
club website has some illustrated instructions that show how to apply the
maggot barriers on the developing fruit.. Here is a link.
http://www.seattletreefruitsociety.com/maggot-barriers
Also remember that with coddling moth, a small percentage of barriers will
be chewed through. Soaking the barriers in non-toxic kaolin clay will
reduce the coddling moth damage.

If anyone is looking for a source of maggot barriers to put on apples and
other fruit, I purchased a bag through STFS. They come in two sizes. Here
is a link to an order form.
http://www.seattletreefruitsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/maggot-barrier-pg2.pdf

-Mark Lee, Seattle