nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting/Budding rubbers

  • From: "Bob Hartman" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting/Budding rubbers
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 14:43:44 -0700

If you want the regular budding strips you can get them from A M Leonard. I've been ordering from them for many years.
http://www.amleo.com/rubber-strips-for-budding-and-grafting/p/VP-XXXRS/
They work great!
Bob
Western Washington

-----Original Message----- From: Lucky Pittman
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2012 2:07 PM
To: 'nafex mailing list at ibiblio'
Subject: [nafex] Grafting/Budding rubbers

Years ago, I used to purchase the soft red grafting/budding rubbers from
Mellingers, but they closed, and since then, I've just been using 3/8"
rubber bands from the local OfficeMax store. They've worked OK , but break
down pretty rapidly in sunlight - like within a week or two. So. if I think
they need to retain their integrity a bit longer, I over-wrap the rubber
band with a couple layers of masking tape. Not sure whether it slows
degradation or not - or if it just hides it so that I don't see the
degrading bands so readily. I'm sure aluminum foil would block UVL, but I
can't always guarantee that I'll get out to remove it in a timely fashion.

Anyway, while I was at OfficeMax, laying in a supply of rubber bands for
this year's grafting, I saw that they also had (orange) 'non-latex/no
natural rubber' bands. Wondered if anyone had ever used those and had any
comments, good or bad, pertaining to them.

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville, KY

message archives
Google message archive search: