nafex - Re: [nafex] Multiple fruit trees IN SAME hole - so that they fuse

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Multiple fruit trees IN SAME hole - so that they fuse
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:57:05 -0500

Jim, to keep the trees balanced the more vigorous varieties need to be
rigorously controlled by pruning. Basically the minute it looks out of
balance, I whack it -- I always have my pruners and saw on my belt and deal
with the problem when I first spot it. If that means removing half the graft
right now, so be it. Multiple scheduled rounds of pruning each year are also
needed, I do two in summer and one in winter. It took me several years of
experience to figure out how to do prune properly, but it is now generally
working fine. If I had a lot of space I would not be doing close planting
since it is more pruning work, but I have to put all my trees in about 1/4
acre and with close planting methods I can grow over 500 varieties. I prefer
the method of trees in rows with about 3-4' spacing. I tried closer spacing
but found it was too hard to prune. M9 or other strongly dwarfing stocks can
in fact do fine in 2', and things like vigorous pears are better in 4'. I
have used close spacing on all types of fruit, even the most vigorous plants.
The trick for kiwis is to hedge them back twice before midsummer, I use
powered hedge trimmers and trim back all the long shoots. After two prunings
they calm down for the rest of the summer. On the 3-4' spaced trees I will
often have multiple varieties grafted to a single tree. I have done as many
as five varieties on 3'-spaced trees but that is too hard to keep balanced;
my preferred approach now is 2 or maybe 3 varieties maximum per tree.
Starting out its probably best to just try to get one variety per tree
balanced, and later additions or topworkings can add multiple varieties.

Scott