nafex - Re: [nafex] CLARIFICATION to list members

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] CLARIFICATION to list members
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:26:57 -0400

Deb is in a difficult situation here, as she is constrained in what she can
say. Perhaps I can
clarify just what has happened (as far as I infer it - and it is important to
recognise that I have
no direct knowledge at all). This listserv was created a number of years ago
by an individual
who I believe was on the executive of NAFEX at the time. It is hosted free
by a fascinating
consortium based in the university in Chapel Hill, as essentially a public
service. It was a
logical extension of the original purpose of NAFEX - sharing of information.
This function
started as a round-robin letter, moved to the Pomona, and finally on to an
electronic medium
- a listserv, which had the additional advantage of being absolutely free.
At some point in the
past couple of years a decision was made by the executive of NAFEX to cut
this listserv
loose, and renounce their parentage of it. This is entirely within their
right, but they were left
with the unfortunate historical fact that the listserv is named "NAFEX", and
it is not possible
now to change this name. But, as far as NAFEX is now concerned, it is not
their child, and
they have neither control over it, nor responsibility for it.

In the meantime, Deb was charged with the responsibility of creating a
website - and forum -
which was to be the official instrument of NAFEX. This she has done with
most impressive
professionalism and skill. But she is left with the unfortunate situation
that she has been
asked to create something which seeks to replicate, if not compete with, this
listserv. She
really has created a beautiful website, but she cannot control whether people
actually use it,
in preference to, or even in addition to, this listserv. She is a faithful
and dedicated servant,
but ultimately she has no control. This is not due to any failing on Deb's
part, but really is
beyond her control.

So, bottom line, Deb is the official NAFEX person, and matters dealing with
NAFEX should
go to her. But this listserv, despite the name, has no connection to NAFEX,
many of the
participants are no longer NAFEX members at all, and if you have any issues
with it, it truly is
outside Deb's bailliwick.

And if my understanding, as expressed above, is incorrect in any respect, I
would welcome
correction by somebody who actually knows what they are talking about, (ie.
somebody other
than me)