nafex - [nafex] Planting fruit tree in limited/confined soil space

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Planting fruit tree in limited/confined soil space
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:42:11 -0500 (EST)

I'm pretty sure it's ok to do, but I'd like to confirm my plan here:

is it ok to plant 3 fruit trees on semi-dwarfing rootstocks (intending for a
long life for the tree) in an area of a limited/confined area of limited soil
space.

I have a 6' wide by 40' long by 2.5 deep garden strip that is complete
surrounded on 3 of its sides (the long sides and one of the narrow 6' wide
sides) by a walk way which has several feet of stone and sand underneath it,
so there is no soil accessible under neath the pavers/walk way.

The soil is very fertile. Should I be concerned, that in my life-time, the
nutrients will run out if I were to plant say 3 fruit trees on semi-dwarfing
rootstocks in it. Or could that be remedied by fertilizing the area (maybe
using nitrogen fixing vegetation), that it will always be fertile enough for
these trees?

How is it that all over New York City, there are trees that seem to be
surviving well that are in 3 foot x 3 foot spots that are, otherwise,
surrounded by endless contiguous concrete (street, sidewalk). How do these
trees get nutrients after they use up the nutrients in the soil directly
under them and under the sidewalk. In my situation, at least one of the
narrow sides is open and leads to open ground.

Thanks,
Steve

  • [nafex] Planting fruit tree in limited/confined soil space, Steven Covacci, 02/21/2012