nafex - [nafex] Sea Buckthorn

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Sea Buckthorn
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:30:32 -0600

I just wrote a friend suggesting that he should think about planting Sea Buckthorn at his place in Minnesota. He wrote back the following (below). I don't know about his comment about it tasting pretty bad, but I suppose it would be unpalatable right off the tree and needs to be sweetened, etc. I hope the attached picture comes through.

Dan

"Funny you should mention Sea Buckthorn. I just saw loads of it along the coast of the Baltic Sea a few weeks ago when I was in north Germany. It grows all over the place in the sandy soils along the sea coast. It was a real rough environment, cold and windier than beat Hell. But the plant seems to thrive under those conditions. My friends in Germany said the fruit tastes pretty bad but when it is added to liqueurs or made into jam or whatever, it is good, and way higher in vitamin C than citrus fruit."

"Check the attachment, it is my shot of Sea Buckthorn from the Baltic coast."