nafex - [nafex] My experience rooting elderberry cuttings

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] My experience rooting elderberry cuttings
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:50:23 -0500

Every fall I cut down several (or sometimes all) the shoots on at least one of my two elderberry bushes. I just cut the shoots into pieces and scatter them around the bush. In the fall of 2010, I covered the cuttings with a couple inches of compost, mostly to make it look nicer. In the spring, I was astounded at how many new shoots the bush was sending up, but I soon figured out that most of them were from the cuttings. Just about every one had grown roots and was sending up at least one shoot. I'm in zone 6, the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania.

So, if you have some extra cuttings, you might consider just burying them where you want a bush to grow.

Alex

  • [nafex] My experience rooting elderberry cuttings, Alexander Brands, 01/23/2012