nafex - Re: [nafex] 'Smaragd' Columnar Apples

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] 'Smaragd' Columnar Apples
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:43:52 -0800

Columnar apples will branch, but mostly long straight limbs that arise low on
the trunk. I've seen old "Wijick" trees with side branches that looked like
Lombardy poplars in form.
The columnar trait is a single dominant gene, so a normal x columnar cross
gives 50% columnar seedlings. Since the trait is visible in very young
seedlings, it's easy to breed. At one time there were at least 2 private
breeders in NAFEX working on columnar apples, but I forget their names.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, book, The Grape Grower, at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner GWA "Best Talent in Writing" 2003.
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low
resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower :