nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] Apricot cultivars: 'Jerseycot' vs 'Early Blush'

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] Apricot cultivars: 'Jerseycot' vs 'Early Blush'
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:20:15 -0500 (EST)

For anyone who has tried 'Jerseycot' apricot, what is your opinion regarding
flavor, acidity, and if in the north east - disease-resistance? I wanted to
get 'Early Blush' but the one nursery that seems to carry it is out - it is
supposedly "very sweet" (and is in my area very disease-resistant), and some
of the trials indicate that 'Jerseycot' has high acidity, but a friend of
mine, Bob Purvis - the apricot/stonefruit expert, told me that he and his
wife have not found it to be acidic.

I prefer the look of the fruit of 'Jerseycot', as it looks more typical of an
apricot, not being covered in about 50% blush like 'Early Blush is', however
if it is actually less disease-resistant in my area (N. New Jersey), then
I'll have to wait another year.

p.s. I have to make a correction: I early said that 'President' is the only
black-knot resistant cultivar of Prunus x domestica/European plum for the
northeast; I just discovered a potentially more disease-resistant variety:
'Kenmore'.

Thanks,
Steve

  • [nafex ibiblio list] Apricot cultivars: 'Jerseycot' vs 'Early Blush', Steven Covacci, 01/15/2012