nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] pear-quince compatablility

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] pear-quince compatablility
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:22:26 -0500

This list is good for older cultivars, but for many pears its hard to find
out. Look and see if Cummins or Tierra Madre Farms nursery is selling it on
quince, thats one way, or just do an interstem on the graft to be safe. I
did all my unknowns with quince-compatible interstems this last spring and
every single one took. I did a whip and tongue on the scion to an interstem
scion and immediately grafted that onto the quince. For many fruit types
such a one-shot interstem has low odds but pears have such good odds that it
works out well. I got this idea from Lucky.

Scott