nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] OHxF Dwarfing Rootstocks for Asian Pear & (other issues)

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] OHxF Dwarfing Rootstocks for Asian Pear & (other issues)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:20:21 -0500 (EST)

Group:
What is the latest word and feelings on the various dwarfing rootstocks for
Asian Pear, particularly the OHxF series?
It looks like OHxF-513 shows long-term graft compatibility and is
semi-dwarfing; I don't know about long-term compatibility with the slightly
more dwarfing OHxF-333.
As for OHxF-97 - it's supposed to be a standard-sized tree. To me, that
sounds like a 25' tree after 2-decades. Yet, since Asian pears bare so
heavily, I wonder is "standard-size" will end up being just slightly larger
then OHxF-513. I heard that OHxF-97 sizes the fruits better then the others
in the series.
Can a tree be maintained to 10 wide x 15 tall on 97, about as easily as on
513 - or will the 97 cause much more vigor.
Also, I heard that dwarfing rootstocks, when situated in fertile soils, will
naturally loose a lot of their dwarfing effect. If that's the case, since I
have very fertile soil, then maybe it doesn't matter which I get.
In terms of fire-blight resistance, I think I'll go with 'Korean Giant' (aka
'Olympic'; aka 'Dan Bae'), and although having a little less resistance,
'Yoinashi'. From what many have said, 'Shinko/Shingo' is not a very good
fruit, and suffers decline after a while - although is the most fire-bligh
resistant cultivar.
Will the bloom period of 'Korean Giant' coincide with that of the European
pear (very blight-resistant, self-fertile variety) 'Honeysweet'.

Thanks,
Steve; NJ

  • [nafex ibiblio list] OHxF Dwarfing Rootstocks for Asian Pear & (other issues), Steven Covacci, 01/12/2012