nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] nafex Digest, Vol 108, Issue 10

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] nafex Digest, Vol 108, Issue 10
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:53:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi Alex,

Ziziphus (jujuba) is a member of Rhamnaceae (sister group to Elaeagnaceae -
Buckthorn, containing Autumn-olive); not all member of Rhamnaceae are
nitrogen-fixing, although many are. Yet, there are even members of Ulmaceae
(Elm) and Rosaceae (Rose) that have nitrogen-fixing members of the family.
Ceanothus (NJ tea, etc.), a member of Rhamnaceae, engages in nodular
fixation, but as for Ziziphus - I could have sworn I read that it, too, fixes
nitrogen. I couldn't find anything supporting my assumed recollection of
this, however. So, unless someone tells me otherwise, I will not longer know
jujube to be a nitrogen-fixer... ha, I actually planted it along the
vegetable garden believing it would fix nitrogen!

Steve; NJ 6b/7a