nafex - [nafex ibiblio list] Cornelian-cherry (C. mas) varieties

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex ibiblio list] Cornelian-cherry (C. mas) varieties
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 18:21:23 -0500 (EST)

I tried a Cornus mas as the Lehman Orchard: one out of 2 hand-fulls was
excellent - same shrub-tree; all the rest were tart, astringent, etc.

I had a single fruit off of my C. mas 'Yellow' [TM] cv. 'Yantarnii' - it was
very good, and tasted very much different from the one at Mr. Lehman's
orchard.

I'm considering getting Pioneer (cv. Lykyanovskii) - as it has a very good
reputation; 'Red Star' also has a good reputation, but I think it said to an
unreliable cropper.

I have room for two, but for another - it might be a waste-of-space...

The variety is known as 'Black Plum' (from John Gordon): Lee Reich told me
that it's his favorite, of those he's so far tried.

Anyone else try 'Black Plum' - I can see the yellow being different in taste,
but I wonder if there's a difference between the selections of red-fruited
and, also, black-plum.

As for the unselected ones, they taste like cranberries.

Thanks,
Steve

  • [nafex ibiblio list] Cornelian-cherry (C. mas) varieties, Steven Covacci, 12/30/2011