nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Fwd: Please Help Us Preserve Historic Apple Varieties

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] Fwd: Please Help Us Preserve Historic Apple Varieties
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:56:43 -0500

I think most of you "apple people" know Lee Calhoun. Several years ago
(actually more than that) Lee supplied hundreds of southern heirloom apple
trees he grafted from his orchard to a North Carolina historic site: Horne
Creek Farm (http://www.nchistoricsites.org/horne/horne.htm An article
about the apple orchard is at
http://mtairynews.com/bookmark/14651910-Expert-shares-knowledge-about-8216-Old-Southern-Apples-8217-at-Horne-Creek
).
The orchard is not well known, and is not located at the main site. But
it is, or at least was, open to the public. The idea was to preserve the
apples, some of which I don't think existed outside of Lee's orchard. I'm
not sure, but at one time I'd heard that they eventually would be able to
supply small quantities of scions.

This is a "sort of" governmental site: there is a deer proof fence around
the orchard, which I believe the state paid for as well as provided the
land; Lee donated his time and the trees. And, used to go there annually
to prune the trees. Some of the apples are indeed not endangered, others
are or used to be. But they represent a small, localized slice of the
whole.

And, I worry about what might happen to Lee's collection. While I
sincerely hope he is around for a long, long time the reality is that he is
not young. I have no idea what arrangements might have been made regarding
his collection. As recently as a year ago he was still collecting, finding
trees he had looked for over a very long period of time, he published a
second edition of his book recently.

But as you say there do not appear to be comprehensive and verified
germplasm repositories in many countries, nor an interest on the
governmental level.

Chris