nafex - Re: [nafex ibiblio list] grape sprays for black rot

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex ibiblio list] grape sprays for black rot
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:01:57 -0800

Copper sprays are important controls, though there are many newer treatments
coming out. Here's a useful post.

From: "pdeninno11" <pdeninno11@yahoo.com>
Date: November 21, 2006 8:55:33 AM PST
To: grapesrus@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [grapesrus] Re: 2nd year vines

Here is some good information on black rot for anyone growing organicaly.
Paul

We have applied the yucca product with Champion (copper hydroxide)
plus lime and with lime sulfur, and have not seen any damage to
Concord or Niagara vines attributable to the combination. I have not
tried it mixed with sulfur. However, you may want to reconsider using
yucca. While our preliminary greenhouse screening trials with yucca
were encouraging, our field trial results with yucca this year have
been anything but encouraging with respect to control of black rot
fruit infection. We applied yucca alone (at 16 and 32 oz per acre)
and as a tank mix with Champion/lime and lime sulfur, at 10 day
intervals. The yucca alone gave zero control of black rot on fruit,
and provided no extra benefit when applied as a tank mix with
Champion/lime or lime sulfur. Even though we got excellent results
with yucca in greenhouse trials on grape leaves, it completely failed
to protect fruit in our field trials. I'm not saying it won't work,
but applying yucca at 10 day intervals in a wet 2006 did nothing to
stop black rot on Concord or Niagara. We did see some evidence in our
inoculations that it will work better at shorter intervals (less than
7 days), but you may want to stick with what you know works on fruit
in the field.

The best organic material for control of black rot in 2006 was copper
(Champion plus lime). On Concord vines where we hung black rot mummies
in the trellis (for extra high disease pressure) copper provided 49 %
(2 lb rate) and 63 % (4 lb rate) control of black rot on fruit when
applied at 10 day intervals. On Niagara (2 lb rate), it provided only
31 % control of black rot on fruit (again, under extra high disease
pressure). Not too exciting, but far better than anything else we
tested in the field. On Niagara vines without any mummies in the
trellis (moderate disease pressure), the 2 lb copper rate provided 97
% control.

As to what copper and sulfur to use: We only have experience with
Champion (copper hydroxide).

Bottom line:
1) so far, copper and lime is still the best thing for organic control
of black rot. The higher the rate and/or the shorter the interval, the
better the control. It will also do a decent job on powdery mildew and
is very effective on downy mildew.
2) make sure you remove black rot infected mummies from the trellis
before spring. They are a far less potent source of inoculum on the
ground than in the trellis. Also, there is some evidence that the
sooner you remove mummies to the ground, the fewer spores those
mummies will release during the following fruit susceptibility period
next year.
3) So far, we have not seen much efficacy from yucca on fruit in the
field and, unfortunately, cannot recommend it for black rot control.

--- In grapesrus@yahoogroups.com, "JWyman" <victoriacreek@...> wrote:

Well this is supposed to be advanced growing so my two cents follow:
while disease and rot and those types of things can be a nuisance,
and if left unchecked, can compromise yield, ....they are not the
poltergeist.
Although you cannot reclaim cane or buds that were damaged from a
previous years infection, the infection can easily be killed and kept
off new growth the following year by employing a reasonable and
effective spray schedule.
Also I wouldnt bother removing 'mummies' or infected pruning
cuttings unless you are willing to remove every dead leaf on the
vineyard floor as well.

--- In grapesrus@yahoogroups.com, "Gale, George" <GaleG@> wrote:

Have you made any wine yet from Noiret? If so, what's it like?