nafex - Re: [NAFEX] petunia volunteers

  • From: "Richard L. Wagner" <rewagner@centurytel.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] petunia volunteers
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:28:07 -0500

Probably would want to propagate the originals from cuttings but a well lighted space inside would be necessary to protect them from the cold.
We settled for the 'old fashioned ones. They are not as bright and flamboyant but they have the advantage of a wonderful fragrance. Modern fruits= no flavor. Modern flowers=no fragrance. THey also have the advantage that they reseed. There is a multiple color strain strain of fragrant reseeding petunia named 'Laura Bush' for ground cover usage.

Quoting "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>:
Jerry, anytime I've let volunteer petunia seedlings grow up from seed from a
hybrid parent, they were not the same as the parent. Often, they look like the
old-fashioned "vining" petunias that were grown years ago (white, lavender,
pink). I believe the Wave petunias are hybrids, and you'll probably see
something similar once the volunteer seedlings come into flower. -- Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness zone 4b)