nafex - [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] D. kaki as rootstock?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:32:45 -0500

I have a D. kaki (Ichi ki kei jiro) that has been bearing for a few years. It is my only D kaki, although we have numerous wild D. virginiana around. My kaki has always produced seedless fruit.

This year I found 1 seed in a fruit. I don't know if it is viable, but I would like to try to germinate it. I am suspecting if it is viable, it will produce a hybrid. Does anyone know if these closely related species (kaki and virginiana) hybridize?

Question- can I use D. kaki (or hybrid) rootstock for grafting kaki varieties.? Is there any advantage/ disadvantage to using D. kaki ( compared to D. virginiana) as rootstock? I am in zone 7.

Thanks,

Betsy Hilborn
7a central NC