nafex - [NAFEX] Will native plums pollinate apricot?

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Will native plums pollinate apricot?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 00:10:19 -0500 (EST)

Group:
Will the any one(s) of the following native plums cross-pollinate with
apricot in the northeast (i.e. New Jersey - USDA 6/7)?

P. maritima
P. americana
P. angustifolia
P. pumila (used in producing plumcot; but the cross-pollination was induced)

Thanks,
Steve; NJ
p.s. I suspect some over-lap in bloom periods; I believe that apricot and
Asian plums will freely hybridize - and know that native plum and Asian plum
spp. will do so.

  • [NAFEX] Will native plums pollinate apricot?, Steven Covacci, 11/25/2011