nafex - [NAFEX] Questions regarding Sea-buckthorn/Seaberry (Hippophae rhamnoides)

  • From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Questions regarding Sea-buckthorn/Seaberry (Hippophae rhamnoides)
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:21:56 -0500 (EST)

Group:
I have a few questions regarding sea-buckthorn/seaberry (Hippophae
rhamnoides).
1. Does it sucker into an umbilically-connected stand; e.g not just from the
base, but a distance away?
2. Do the berries fall-off the shrub by themselves, when fully-ripened?
3. If they fall-off by themselves, would they make a stain-mess on a walkway
just as mulberry or wild black cherry, etc.
4. I have the cultivar 'Chuskaya' ('Star of Alti' TM), which is said to be
similar to cv. 'Prevoshodnaya' ('Siberian Splendor' TM). The description
indicates that it is, supposedly, "good for fresh eating" in being less tart:
that it is "sweet".
Does this sound likely? From what I've heard of sea-buckthorn berries is
that it is extremely unpalatable and needs to be used in preparations to be
rendered sweet, etc.
5. How large will it get (average cultivar) in sandy soil?
Thanks,
Steve; NJ 6b/7a

  • [NAFEX] Questions regarding Sea-buckthorn/Seaberry (Hippophae rhamnoides), Steven Covacci, 11/11/2011