nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Two Questions

  • From: Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Two Questions
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 10:32:19 -0400

Fruit are genetically programmed to accelerate their maturation when they
are damaged. It's a way to ensure that the fruit ripens before it spoils,
so the seeds still get dispersed after the fruit is eaten by animals. In my
yard, the earliest plums and apricots to ripen are those with insect damage.

Fred