nafex - [NAFEX] Chokecherry Vinegar

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chokecherry Vinegar
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:46:30 -0500

Bob,
My bottles are hot sauce bottles - they can be turned upside down with
nothing coming out unless you shake the bottle. I use 3 oz., 6 oz., and 12
oz. $1.50 per ounce.

I have a pH meter to determine acidity.

Hypothesis/theory(?): Since Acetobacter needs air to turn alcohol to
vinegar, I would suggest that it forms the rubbery layer on top when it has
completed its job, with the mother effectively cutting off the potential air
supply. What say you?

Curiously, mother never formed on top on Strawberry, Chokecherry and
Black Currant. Instead it sunk to the bottom in bits and pieces.

Jim